Sunday, September 14, 2008

OK, here's what I'm up to with this. I'm going to have this blog page to write the occasional missive about this or that, or maybe to post a poem or essay now and then. I also have a page on the flikr.com site where I can upload pictures of things. I'm going to create a Myspace page (if I can overcome my aversion to it!) as an entry point to get to both of the other places.

Why haven't I done this up to now? I have a strong suspicion it's a waste of time. I'm not morally opposed to wasting time, however. I do it pretty well, in fact.

In general, I'm not impressed with technology. Back in the early to mid '90s I had a pretty extensive web presence, with all kinds of linked pages where I talked about geography, music, labor unions, and poetry. It was hosted through the servers at the university where I was employed but over time, there was more and more institutional pressure to standardize the look and feel of everything and so I scrapped it all. I think part of it was a sort of guilty feeling that it was entirely too narcissistic. I'm still not sure I can deal with that part.

No comments: